To describe procedure for responding to semi-annual and follow-up inspections by the City of Eugene Fire Marshall
The University of Oregon through its Facilities Services and University Housing enters into two separate annual contracts with the City of Eugene for semi annual inspections by the Fire Marshal of fire safety installations in all University facilities. The University Housing contract deals exclusively with University Housing properties. These contracts also call for certain follow-up visits to monitor progress on completion of all corrections recommended in the fall and spring inspections.
- Three copies of the semi annual inspection report conducted under the Facilities Services contract are to be filed with the Coordinator of University Safety Systems, the Facilities Services Director and the Director of Public Safety.
- Three copies of the semi annual inspection report conducted under the University Housing contract are to be filed with the Coordinator of University Safety Systems, the University Housing Director, and the Director of Public Safety.
- Upon receipt of an inspection report, the Coordinator of University Safety Systems shall convene a meeting of the University Fire Safety Committee made up of safety officers from the Office of Public Safety and Facilities Services and auxiliary enterprise representatives as appropriate, to review the report, prioritize corrective actions and to identify corrective actions beyond the scope of normal operations of standard budgets.
- Auxiliary enterprises, i.e., University Housing, Intercollegiate Athletics, Student Health Center and Erb Memorial Union will be informed by the appropriate Safety Officer of corrections to be made. Safety Officers shall follow-up to assure that corrections are made in timely fashion. Upon the completion of corrective action, the Safety Officer will file a job completion form with the Coordinator of University Safety Systems with a copy to the auxiliary enterprise for its records.
- The Facilities Services Director will be given a written report of the findings and priorities established by the Fire Safety Committee. The Facilities Services Director, or the Director's designee shall assign work orders to effect the necessary corrective action. Job completion forms will be filed with the Coordinator of University Safety-Systems upon completion, with a copy retained by Facilities Services for its records.
- At monthly intervals, the Coordinator of University Safety Systems shall file progress reports with the Fire Marshal who conducted the inspection. If negotiated solutions to corrective action are Fire Marshal Safety Inspection required, the Coordinator of University Safety Systems in consultation with the Facilities Services Director, University Planner as appropriate, and the Director of Public Safety is authorized to act and may consult as appropriate with the Fire Marshal and/or Building Department designees.
- If the Coordinator of University Safety Systems determines that certain corrective actions are not progressing in timely fashion, the Coordinator shall meet with the Director of Facilities Services (and the Director of University Housing as appropriate) to expedite and correct the delay.
- All corrections identified by the University Fire Safety Committee as beyond normal operations or standard budgets shall be described in a written report to the Director of Facilities Services for that Director's special consultation with the Vice-President for Administration. All corrections identified on University Housing properties as beyond normal operations or standard budgets of University Housing shall be referred to the Director of University Housing who shall report to the Vice-President for Administration. The Vice-President may consult with the Fire Marshal or Building Department designee to negotiate acceptable time schedules or adjustments.
- Upon notification of fire correction needs which exceed normal operations o Facilities Services or exceed standard budgets, the Vice-President for Administration shall be responsible for developing a funding and operational plan to meet the identified need.
- It shall be the responsibility of all University employees to cooperate promptly with fire safety correction directions from the Coordinator of University Safety Systems or the designated Safety Officer or Facilities Services staff assigned to perform corrective work. Employees who fail to cooperate shall be reported to the Vice-President for Administration
02/08/2010 Policy number revised from 8.000 to 08.00.06