This policy outlines various institutional matters pertaining to student records, including information that is not required to be provided and how a student may petition for a change in their personal record.
All students as well as UO employees who work with, maintain or have access to student records.
Policy number changed from 580.013 (former OAR) to UO Policy III.05.04 on November 2, 2016.
Technical revisions enacted by the University Secretary on September 2, 2015.
Sections 25, 30, 35, 36, 45 and 50 of OAR 580 Division 13 were repealed by the President upon recommendation of the Senate on March 22, 2014.
Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law on July 1, 2014.
Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 580 Division 13.
A. Certain Information Not Required To Be Provided By Students
No student shall be required to provide, except voluntarily, information as to race, religion, political affiliation or preferences, or personal values, except as required by state statute, federal law or valid federal rules, regulations or orders.
B. Petition by Student for Change in Personal Record
The student shall have the right to review with appropriate University personnel any information contained in the student's records and to petition appropriate University officials as defined in University policies for additions or deletions to the record where the accuracy of the information in the file is in question, except in the following instances:
(1) Records created or maintained by a physician, psychiatrist, psychologist or other recognized professional or paraprofessional acting in a professional or paraprofessional capacity or assisting in that capacity.
(2) Records created, maintained or used only in connection with the provision of treatment to the student and not disclosed to anyone other than individuals providing the treatment; provided, that the records can be personally reviewed by a physician or other appropriate professional of the student's choice.
(3) Records relating exclusively to an individual in that individual's capacity as an employee.
(4) Financial records and statements of the parents of students or any information contained therein.
(5) Confidential letters and confidential statements of recommendation that were placed in the educational records of a student prior to January 1, 1975, provided that the letters and statements were solicited with the written assurance of confidentiality or sent and retained with a documented understanding of confidentiality and were used only for the purposes for which they were specifically intended.
(6) Confidential letters of recommendation and confidential statements of recommendation that were placed in the educational records of the student after January 1, 1975, respecting admission to an educational institution, respecting an application for employment or respecting the receipt of an honor or honorary recognition, provided that the student has waived rights to inspect and review letters and statements of recommendation.
- Volume III: Administration of Student Affairs
- Chapter 5: Student Records
For questions about this policy, please contact the Office of Student Life at 541-346-3216 or the Office of the Registrar at 541-346-2935.