To set forth and affirm a clear and cogent statement of common community standards.
The University of Oregon community is dedicated to the advancement of knowledge and the development of integrity. In order to thrive and excel, this community must preserve the freedom of thought and expression of all its members. The University of Oregon has a long and illustrious history in the area of academic freedom and freedom of speech. A culture of respect that honors the rights, safety, dignity and worth of every individual is essential to preserve such freedom. We affirm our respect for the rights and well-being of all members.
We further affirm our commitment to:
- Respect the dignity and essential worth of all individuals.
- Promote a culture of respect throughout the University community.
- Respect the privacy, property, and freedom of others.
- Reject bigotry, discrimination, violence, or intimidation of any kind.
- Practice personal and academic integrity and expect it from others.
- Promote the diversity of opinions, ideas and backgrounds which is the lifeblood of the university.
29 March 2000 - Endorsed on a vote of 13-3 by the UO Student Senate
12 April 2000 - Unanimously endorsed by the University Senate13 April 2000 - Approved by the university president's Small Executive Staff and Promulgated as Policy
08 Feburary 2010 - Policy number revised from 1.000 to 01.00.10