This policy contains matters pertaining to student fees for capital construction projects.
All students, as well as employees whose work relates to the above matters
Technical revisions enacted by the University Secretary on September 2, 2015.
Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law on July 1, 2014.
Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 580 Division 10, Sections 0100 through 0140.
A. Student Planning and Construction Committee
(1) Each student government shall establish a student campus planning and construction committee. The University shall incorporate the campus planning and construction committee into the established campus planning process for projects proposed to be funded, in whole or in part, from income from the student building fee.
(2) For projects proposed to be funded, in whole or in part, from income from the student building fee, the student planning and construction committee shall recommend to the appropriate official(s) of the student government, as described in Section C, whether each such project should be approved and the relative priority of each such project. The committee may also request consideration of additional projects or project modifications that the committee or student member(s) identifies independently.
(3) If a project affects a facility in which operations are or will be funded, in whole or in part, from student incidental fee income, the committee will seek the recommendation of the University’s incidental fee committee before making its recommendation to the appropriate student government official(s).
B. Incidental Fee Committee Review and Recommendation
The University’s Incidental Fee Committee will be given reasonable opportunity, to be specified in the guidelines and procedures of the student government, to review any project that affects a facility whose operations are or are intended to be funded, in whole or in part, from student incidental fee income. The Incidental Fee Committee shall recommend to the student planning and construction committee whether it believes the project should be approved and estimate, based upon the project's scope and schedule, the anticipated effect that the operation of the completed project will have on incidental fee amounts charged to students.
C. Recommendations of Appropriate Student Government Official(s)
The student government of the University shall determine which of its elected officials will be charged with making recommendations to the President regarding capital construction projects proposed to be funded, in whole or in part, from student building fee income and shall so notify the President. Such appropriate student government official(s) shall review the recommendations of the incidental fee and student planning and construction committees. Efforts shall be made by both the appropriate student government official(s) and the representatives of the University administration to reach common understanding and consensus on such recommendations. However, the appropriate student government official(s) may make recommendations to the President even if such consensus has not been reached.
D. Agreement between Student Government and Institution President
(1) The President shall review the recommendation of the appropriate student government official(s) prior to approving the institution's capital construction budget request for the upcoming biennium. If the President does not agree with a recommendation or priority ranking of the appropriate student government official(s), the President and the appropriate student government official(s) shall make good faith efforts to reach agreement.
(2) If agreement is not reached, the President and the appropriate student government official(s) shall submit the matter to a Hearings Board in the manner described in Section (G)(3)(h) of UO Policy 580.010.0080-90. The hearing must be completed prior to the deadline for the President to submit the institution's request to the Board.
(3) If agreement has not been reached even after a hearing, the President shall submit the institution's capital construction budget request to the Board and disclose that agreement has not been reached with the appropriate student government official(s).
E. Capital Construction Budget Recommendations of Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration
1) The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration or designee shall discuss with the parties any matters of disagreement between the institution president and the appropriate student government official(s) and shall take the information provided into account in making the Chancellor's capital construction budget recommendations regarding projects to be financed from the building fee to the Board of Higher Education. If the Chancellor's recommendation includes projects on which the institution and appropriate student government official(s) have not reached agreement, the Chancellor's Office shall disclose that a disagreement exists to the Board of Higher Education at the time of its capital construction budget recommendation.
(2) The Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration shall base these recommendations on the following criteria:
(a) Demonstrated project need and beneficial use to students;
(b) Campus student support for the project;
(c) Protection of asset investment and compliance with code requirements;
(d) Co-funding availability; and
(e) The historical share of building fee projects at a given campus compared to the System as a whole.
(3) The Vice Chancellor, within a reasonable time of receiving a request, shall provide a written report that specifies how criteria listed in subsection (2) of this rule were considered in the evaluation of a project.
For questions about this policy, please contact the Office of Student Life at 541-346-3216