This policy outlines smoking and tobacco restrictions on properties owned or controlled by the University of Oregon.
Any individual on University owned or controlled property.
For questions about this policy, please contact Healthy Oregon at 541-346-1137.
Policy renumbered to IV.07.09 on 11/8/2018.
Technical revisions enacted by the University Secretary on September 4, 2015.
Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law on July 1, 2014.
Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 571 Division 50 Section 0005.
(a) “Smoking” means inhaling, exhaling, burning, or carrying any lighted or heated Tobacco product, including legal smoking substances that are not Tobacco, and smoking instruments.
(b) “Tobacco Use” includes Smoking, chewing, dipping or any other use of Tobacco products.
(c) “Tobacco” means all forms of Tobacco, including but not limited to cigarettes, cigars, shisha, pipes, water pipes (hookah), electronic cigarettes, and all forms of smokeless Tobacco including but not limited to chew, snus, snuff, sticks, strips and orbs.
(d) “Tobacco-related” means the use of Tobacco brand or corporate name, trademark, logo, symbol, motto, or selling message that is identifiable with those used for any brand of Tobacco products or company that manufactures Tobacco products.
(e) “Person” means a natural person.
(f) “Property” means all property owned or controlled by the University.
(g) “Vehicle” means any vehicle owned, rented or leased by the University.
(2) Prohibitions. Smoking and Tobacco Use is prohibited on all Property and in all Vehicles. Tobacco may not be sold or distributed on any Property. Any violation of this policy impairs and disrupts the educational or other activities of the University. An employee who violates this policy may be subject to discipline. A student who violates this policy may be subject to sanction under the Student Conduct Code.
(3) Citation and Appeals. Anyone else who violates this policy may be issued a citation for thirty dollars ($30). Any complaints about citations issued or appeal of an issued citation may be directed to the Vice President for Finance and Administration or that person’s designee. Appeals of citations must be received by the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration within thirty (30) days of the date of issuance of the citation.
(4) Assistance to Employees and Students. The University will publicize the availability of Tobacco addiction treatment assistance for employees and students.
(5) Exceptions. Exceptions to this administrative policy may be approved by the President of the University upon a finding of reasonable cause.
- Volume IV: Finance, Administration and Infrastructure
- Chapter 7: Property, facilities and planning; sustainability