This policy expresses the University’s position on academic staff holidays.
For questions about this policy, please contact Human Resources at 541-346-3159
24 June 2019 - Policy revisions authorized by the university president
02 September 2015 - Technical revisions enacted by the university secretary
01 July 2014 - Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law
Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 580 Division 22, Sections 0025-0040.
A. Academic Staff Holidays
(1) The following are University holidays: New Year's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. The University will be closed on these days. However, units deemed by the University to provide a necessary function may remain open at the discretion of the University. Other holidays designated by state law, such as Veteran's Day, Presidents' Day and Martin Luther King, Jr.'s Birthday, are not University holidays unless the University is closed by a discretionary act of the President. The President may designate the day after Thanksgiving as a University holiday in lieu of one of the listed discretionary holidays.
(2) Any business transaction required or permitted to be performed on a holiday designated by state law may be performed on the next succeeding business day without penalty, even though the University may be open on the holiday.
(3) Holidays for academic staff shall be those days designated as University holidays (as described in section (1) of this policy), holidays designated by faculty collective bargaining agreements, and any additional day designated by the Governor.
(4) Holidays observed by classified employees are established by collective bargaining agreements.
- Volume V: Human Resources
- Chapter 9: Time-off and leave