This policy creates a comprehensive framework and general guidelines for decision-making regarding costs and payment methods for Mobile Technology related to employment activities. This policy is the responsibility of the Business Affairs Office.
Those with mobile technology required for work.
Office of the Vice President of Finance and Administration: 541-346-3003, firstname.lastname@example.org
03/29/17 Technical change made by the University Secretary
12/28/2010 Reviewed and Approved by President Richard Lariviere
Purchases of Mobile Technology and/or reimbursement to employees who utilize Mobile Technology to conduct university business are governed by the principles, general considerations, and payment options described below.
- Cellular phones, smart phones, personal digital assistants and similar devices (Mobile Technology) have become commonplace, are readily available, and are convenient mechanisms to support university business practices.
- Provision of university funds for Mobile Technology must meet a general need of the university. The Dean, Director, Department and/or other Unit Head is best-suited to determine if a specific employee or job classification requires the use of university-sponsored Mobile Technology, and to what extent. Guidelines regarding this determination are available in the Access to Mobile Technology Policy.
- University data and information transmitted via Mobile Technology remains the property of the University of Oregon, subject to all appropriate rules and policies, including those covering public records.
University data and information transmitted or stored on Mobile Technology, particularly that data considered protected or sensitive, will be subject to the Baseline Standards of Care detailed in the University of Oregon Information Security Policy which is currently being developed.
Each vice president is authorized to determine which payment options are available to units in his/her portfolio.
- Unit Purchase
o The employing unit:
-- Purchases the device and/or pays for the service contract, based upon unit business needs. Choice of contract for unit purchased devices is limited to service contracts negotiated by the university or the State of Oregon. Exceptions may be granted by the appropriate dean or vice president or senior administrator if an alternate service provider better meets the business needs of the unit.
-- Retains ownership of the device and maintains inventory controls over the device.
-- Administers the service plan for the device, or coordinates administration of the plan through UO Network and Telecommunications Services (NTS).
o Personal use of a university-purchased device should be minimal. If costs are incurred due to personal use, the employee will be responsible for those costs and will reimburse the university in a timely manner.
- Employee Allowance
o The unit provides an allowance to the employee who, in turn, purchases a device and/or service contract. The employee owns the equipment and is responsible for all costs associated with the device and service.
o The allowance will be processed through the payroll system and is reported as income according to federal and state regulations. Any tax liability is the responsibility of the employee.
o Allowance categories/tiers and amounts are determined in accordance with university guidelines maintained by the Director of Business Affairs. These guidelines shall be published annually on January 1.
Recommended payment tiers (as of policy publication date):
Tier 1 - Occasional/Infrequent Use - Example: No-contract cellular phones with prepaid or pay-as-you-go minutes - $10.50/month
Tier 2 - Routine Use - Example: Typical cellular phone plan with unlimited talk, long distance, text - $46.00/month
Tier 3 - Advanced Mobile Devices - Example: Blackberry Curve, Apple iPhone - $103.00/month
Tier 4 - International Users and Other Exceptional Circumstances - Example: International roaming service, Satellite Phone service - To be determined on a case-by-case basis
Charges to Grants and Contracts
Payment for Mobile Technology must comply with regulations related to the specific grant or contract. The Office of Research Services and Administration is responsible for communicating the regulations for individual grants and contracts.
For university-purchased Mobile Technology, unit can either contact UO Network and Telecommunication Services for assistance or follow established unit practice for purchasing/contracting. For employee stipends, unit should contact Accounts Payable for assistance.
Who is Governed by this Policy:
- Faculty including instructional and research faculty who utilize Mobile Technology to perform job responsibilities
- Staff who utilize Mobile Technology to perform job responsibilities
- Other: Student employees who utilize Mobile Technology to perform job responsibilities
Who Should Know This Policy:
- University personnel who utilize Mobile Technology to conduct university business
- Deans, Directors, Department and/or Unit Heads, and Vice Presidents who make decisions regarding employee use of Mobile Technology
- University staff charged with administering this Mobile Technology policy including supervisors of all personnel who utilize mobile technology