This policy outlines matters relating to family housing available at the University.
Those living in University family housing and UO employees who work with family housing related matters.
For questions about this policy, please contact University Housing at 541-346-4277.
19 April 2018 - Revisions approved by the university president. Policy renumbered from 571.022.0100-0105 to III.02.04
04 September 2015 - Technical revisions enacted by the university
01 July 2014 - Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law
Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 571 Division 4 Section 0016
A. Rental Rates, Fees and Other Charges
- Monthly rental rates for Spencer View Apartments, Graduate Village and East Campus Family Housing are published annually following review and approval by the Vice President and the UO Board of Trustees (or designee).
- Security deposits, charges for late payment of rent, and other miscellaneous fees, fines and penalties as specified in the University's family housing leases are published annually as a subsection of Special Fees, Fines, Penalties, Service Charges, UO Policy 571.060(A).
B. Family Housing Eligibility and Lease Terms
- Eligibility for University-operated family housing shall be defined in the Family Housing/Apartments Lease agreement.
- Eligibility to lease Family Housing/ Apartments shall be determined by considering:
- That the essential mission of University Housing is to provide housing for matriculated University students;
- That within its available stock of housing, the University should attempt to provide an appropriate housing option for as many students as possible;
- That University Family Housing/Apartments may constitute a significant financial benefit to its tenants;
- That many University students are the parents of minor children;
- That the housing needs of graduate and undergraduate students often vary;
- That appropriate housing options in the surrounding community for some students may be limited.
- Other non-financial lease terms for Family Housing/Apartments shall be determined by the Director of University Housing.
- The provisions of leases developed pursuant to this policy, except for the monthly rent charges, may be waived in unusual circumstances. Tenants, or would-be tenants seeking a waiver should submit a request on a petition form through the Student Housing Portal. Such a decision is within the sole discretion of these University officials. In making their decision, these officials shall objectively balance the needs, capabilities, circumstances, extenuations and responsibilities of the student along with the administrative practicalities, fiscal needs, safety and welfare requirements and evenhandedness obligations of the University.
- Volume III: Administration of Student Affairs
- Chapter 2: Housing and residence life