This policy assists the University in executing its reporting and certifying obligations under federal regulations by establishing responsibilities for international students regarding insurance for themselves and dependent family members in the United States.
International students at the UO; all UO employees who deal with these matters.
For questions about this policy, please contact Student Services and Enrollment Management at 541-346-9386.
11 January 2018 - Policy revisions approved by the university president and policy renumbered from 571.004.0015 to III.04.04.
04 September 2015 - Technical revisions enacted by the university secretary.
01 July 2014 - Became a University of Oregon Policy by operation of law. Former Oregon Administrative Rule Chapter 571 Division 4 Section 0015.
For purposes of this policy, “International Student” means: any student who is admitted to the University of Oregon and has a visa type of J or F, or other legal non-immigrant status that is approved by the Office of International Affairs as an International Student.
(1) In order to assist the University in executing its reporting and certifying obligations under federal regulations, international students at the University of Oregon must demonstrate their ability to meet their financial responsibilities in full. The University hereby establishes that these responsibilities include the provision by international students for health and accident care for themselves and dependent family members in the United States, including when the student is on a UO-approved study abroad program, vacation term, or medical leave term.
(2) All international students enrolled part-time or full-time at the University of Oregon will be required to carry health and accident insurance for themselves and all their dependent family members who are in the United States. As such, all international students will be automatically enrolled in and billed for the UO Student Health Benefits Plan (UO SHBP) upon UO course registration. Students are responsible for paying all costs of enrollment in the UO SHBP, subject to late payment fees if payment deadlines are missed. The UO SHBP coverage may be waived if a student provides proof of adequate health insurance.
(3) This policy will be carried out in accordance with associated procedures.
- Volume III: Administration of Student Affairs
- Chapter 4: Student health services