Oregon Revised Statute 352.113 grants the Board of Trustees of the University of Oregon (the “Board”) broad authority over the institution’s property.
Additionally, ORS 352.029 states the Board “manages the affairs of the university by exercising and carrying out all of the powers, rights and duties that are expressly conferred upon the governing board by law, or that are implied by law or are incident to such powers, rights and duties.”
Pursuant to this authority to manage its affairs and control its property—and in recognition of its obligation to provide a safe environment to its students, employees, visitors, vendors, and patrons—the University of Oregon (“University”) promulgates the following internal policy governing firearms for the University.
Entire campus community, including students, faculty, staff and visitors.
For questions about this policy, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Finance and Administration: (541) 346-3003, firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical revisions made by the University Secretary on May 9, 2016.
Became a UO policy by operation of law on July 1, 2014.
Approved by the State Board of Higher Education March 2, 2012.
- Control by University of its Premises Regarding Students, Employees, Contractors, Event Attendees, and Users of University-Owned or Controlled Property
Subject to the exceptions stated in paragraph (C) below, the following persons are prohibited, at all times, from possessing a firearm on University-owned or controlled property, whether or not that person possesses a concealed handgun license:
- Any person with student status, including, but not limited to full-time, part-time, non-admitted, or any person auditing a course at the University;
- Any person employed by the University;
- Any person, whether individually or as an agent of an entity, with whom the University has a business relationship, including, but not limited to independent contractors or vendors under contract with the University. The University, as appropriate, is encouraged to include a contractual clause identifying this obligation in all of its contracts, but this obligation is binding whether or not such a clause is included. Exceptions may be made when the possession of a firearm is required for the discharge of the duties under the contract or business relationship. Examples include, but are not limited to armored car service to ATM machines within the campus boundary;
- Any person attending an event, including but not limited to athletic events, performances, lectures or speeches, which require a ticket for admission. The University is encouraged to include a contractual clause identifying this obligation on all of its tickets, which function as licenses to attend an event on University-owned or controlled property, but this policy is effective regardless of the existence of such clauses; and
- Any person leasing, renting, or reserving University-owned or controlled property. The University is encouraged to include a contractual clause identifying this obligation in all contracts with such persons, but this policy is effective regardless of the existence of such clauses.
- Control by the University of its Premises Regarding Others
Subject to the exceptions stated in paragraph (C) below, no person may possess a firearm on or in the following places on University-owned or controlled property, whether or not that person possesses a concealed handgun license:
- University buildings or buildings owned or controlled by the University; and
- University sports or performance venues or sports or performance venues owned or controlled by the University; and,
- University institution work places or work places owned or controlled by the University.
The University authorizes the following exceptions to its Policy on Firearms:
- Possession by on-duty law enforcement officers licensed with the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training or equivalent state or federal authority authorized to license the possession of firearms by law enforcement officers;
- Possession by any person participating in an institutionally-recognized or sanctioned U.S. military program, including, but not limited to Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), provided that safety protocols established by such program for the possession and secure storage of firearms have been approved by such program and are followed;
- Possession by residents within a family housing dwelling or any other living arrangement governed by Oregon landlord-tenant law. Residence halls and other living arrangements not governed by Oregon landlord-tenant law are expressly excluded from this exception. Possession of firearms by such residents outside the dwelling is subject to the restrictions of this policy; and
- Possession by persons in compliance with any institution policy that provides for the transportation and/or safe and secure storage of unloaded firearms in order for a student or employee to have access to a firearm for hunting or target shooting, or for academic research, so long as the policy:
- minimizes the presence of the firearms on University-owned or controlled property; and,
- restricts the presence of firearms on University-owned or controlled property in such cases to those instances in which the person wishing to possess the firearm on University-owned or controlled property demonstrates a need, as reasonably required by the institution, to possess or transport the firearm on or across University-owned or controlled property for such hunting or target shooting or academic research; and,
- requires that such firearms be unloaded except in connection with an institution-sanctioned target-shooting event.
- Possession by persons engaged in public safety or campus police training, where authorized.
- The president of the University is authorized to make a temporary exception to this policy on the showing of good cause or necessity.
- This policy will be reviewed from time-to-time, but no less than once a biennium, for amendment or revision.
- Volume IV: Finance, Administration and Infrastructure
- Chapter 5: Public Safety and Risk Services